The Holiday High or The Post-Holiday Blues...

Every time I visit my parents and come back to Boston, I have a bout of depression. A few days before leaving for Boston, I start crying at random moments. After coming back to Boston, it takes a week of recuperation. Then I get busy again, with work, with dance, music, piano, art, friends and dating. These pursuits keep my mind busy but there is always that void. I miss my family. If I had a husband and kids, I probably wouldn't cry as much.

I haven't gone home since October 2019 due to the pandemic. But just now, I visited a friend in North West Arkansas for two and a half weeks and it felt like going back home. Just the first weekend in, I felt like I'd been there forever. My friend felt so too. Surprisingly her husband said the same. They both felt like family. I had met her when she used to work in Boston. Even then we'd gelled very quickly even though we met only a handful of times. So when she invited me to celebrate Diwali with her, I said yes.

Arkansas is simply gorgeous. Simple. Uncomplicated. Clear wide skies. Not a lot of sound or light pollution for miles. At the same time, you can get pretty much everything you desire for a modern living within a 10 minute drive. I had the pleasure of watching Jupiter, Saturn, Moon and Venus in a single line in the night sky. I had never seen Jupiter and Saturn with my own eyes without a telescope before. It made me so happy. During the day, if you drive around, you see lots of cows, donkeys, farms, some horses, trees on end... and mountains. It's picturesque. And then there's also Louise - a restaurant by a small airfield. People fly in for the food every day. It was an awesome experience to watch planes land and take off as we ate.

My friend took me to Eureka Springs, Arkansas for a girls trip one day. Eureka Springs is on the national register of historical places. And rightly so. It looks like a pretty old European village. The construction is all stone. Hilly roads. Shops selling trinkets to visitors. The baths that are famous for their healing properties. A local was busking on the street with his guitar and his song. There were a lot of old couples walking around and relaxing. It was peaceful. We ate delicious food in a cozy modern restaurant overlooking the courthouse. There were old couples and young ones too. And a full bar. I kept wondering if that's where locals came to hangout at night. But we went back to my friend's place before sunset.

The two and a half weeks at my friend's place were fabulous. We worked during the day and went out in the evenings. To see the sights. To meet people. To enjoy the state of Arkansas in its natural beauty... or to walk my friend's gorgeous golden retriever. More importantly, we prepared for the huge Diwali party she and her husband threw on 6th November 2021. I unwittingly became the third host. Everyone treated me so. I found some really nice people among her guests. It was fabulous and effortless. Even went to a house party with karaoke and dancing. Another favorite event was when we drew the Diwali Rangoli in my friend's backyard. It was a fun girl's hangout and chill event with snacks if we wanted to eat. But we were engrossed in colors and perfection.

The Diwali party was a success. People came, socialized, ate yummy food and lit sparklers in the backyard. We ended the night with a game of poker and dancing to Bollywood songs. The next day was spent in rest and sleep.

I wasn't surprised that I got sad when I got back to Boston or that I cried. I miss my friend... And I love her dog too. I've never lived with a dog. But her's was such a loving creature. I was alive effortlessly.  With the right people, I just breathe. Aside from the memories and pictures, I have the promise that we will meet again.


Comments

Popular Posts