Use your core!

Yesterday, I was on cloud nine. I biked to the studio and back effortlessly. Sure, I was sweating and hot but I didn't care about that. My knees were happy. That's all that mattered. I realized yet again that this happened because I was using my core. It reminded me of the experience I had kayaking last summer. I kayaked on Charles river for around 2 hours and my arms didn't get tired because I engaged my core muscles.  The same thing happens when I use my core while climbing stairs. My knees are happy. 

How did this start? It started with a dance called Jive. Well, the realization that I could use my core to minimize the work my limbs need to do, did start with Jive. But I think the story started earlier than that. I started using my core more actively during my Standard training; first in Charlotte Jorgensen's Sunday Standard Technique classes and later in private lessons with Nazar and Mariko. I was asked to engage my core on a regularly basis as part of the frame preparation. I did supplementing exercises at home to strengthen my abdominals. So when I started learning Jive, and my teacher, Stas, told me to life my legs using my core, it wasn't a new concept that I could use my core. What was new was that when I used my core, suddenly my leg muscles and joints didn't have to do so much work. 

I'd overworked my knee joints in Rhythm practice at home before I ever started Standard or Latin training. I had joint pain from time to time. I had started avoiding stairs if I could. However, with the core training from Standard and Latin,  I could climb stairs again. I just had to use my core. :)

When I go for a walk or run, I engage my core as much as possible. The effect is huge. I can go longer. My strides are bigger. And I have had this realization that this is how people run longer distances. They engage their core. And yesterday, as I was biking effortlessly while using my core, I suddenly understood that this is how people bike 30 or 40 miles in one go without overworking their joints. They use their core. Any physical activity I do, I always try to engage my core now. Which brings me my final conclusion. I think the reason why people tend to gain more around their bellies is because they don't use their core and overwork the joints and muscles in their limbs. They just don't know yet that they don't have to do this. There is a better way. Use your core! :)



Comments

Popular Posts